August 13, 2005

Illustration Friday - Wisdom

After getting 'caught' redhanded for not posting an original idea for this week's topic (Thanks Kathy and Carla, I need nudges like this to keep me drawing and thinking :-)), I cracked my head over what I can do for 'Wisdom', and nothing much surfaced... So I decided to draw from my most recent mishap. I just had a minor surgical procedure done on my rear end (shan't go into details in case it grosses anyone out), which is an unkind reminder of the importance of eating right. So here's what I have... The Wisdom of a High-fibre Diet! It's a pretty horrible piece of crap, another attempt on my colour pencils that have not seen daylight for quite a while already. Looking at the state of this piece, I think it's wise to keep the pencils in storage. Darn, I can't paint (even with colour pencils!).

I traced this from Norman Rockwell's "Doctor and Doll" some time ago, in a bid to practice shading using a mechanical pencil with 2B lead. Didn't do a good job with the lighting and the facial expressions (which are really hard to duplicate), but it was fun filling in the details. The expression on the doctor's face is really the essence of the piece, and I feel it's quite apt for this week's topic "Wisdom".

12 comments :

Anonymous said...

Wonderful drawing, lots of detail, especially like fabric textures ... Doctor's face is indeed apt for 'wisdom'!

Anonymous said...

Working from Rockwell's piece is a good excercise, but I'd like to see what idea you'd come up with for wisdom.

I've enjoyed your other posts too. Good ideas and good execution.

pulga atómica said...

you are a great drawer! congratulations!
best regards from argentina.
Nani
ps: loved the aging turtle xD

Anonymous said...

Like dat ah... oso can la.. very good one. keep it up!

carla said...

Splendid! You really took the time to work in the details of shading and line that Rockwell uses, and I admire what you came up with.

I would have to agree with kathy, though...I'd love to see your illustration for wisdom...you always have such great stuff! You still have the whole week....

constanthing said...

I'm apologetic with this new crappy piece posted, but really can't think of a better idea... or it's an excuse for being lazy. Do criticize, I hope I'll eventually improve...

Jeope said...

That kid (up top) is adorable. Love the brightness of the face.

I hope you don't keep a gun in the house, 'cuz you're pretty hard on yourself. Just enjoy the ride, friend! ; )

Good job.

chacha said...

that little gurl is just adorable! love the little pig tails. and nice job on the rockwell piece, its better than what mine would have looked like! :)

Mustashrik said...

Hey there!

that image of the girl and all that food is just so charming and quirky! love the expression and trust me its a grea single frame illustration!

top job!

;)

Grangry said...

I love your colour pencil drawing - such a nice illustration.

Unknown said...

the girl is cute. I was at the Normal Rockwell museum a couple of weeks ago which was fantastic.
His work is amazing in the flesh and very, very accomplished.
Good to take a cue from him.

Anonymous said...

Great artwork. I'll be sure to swing by from time to time.